Our first requested-by-listeners selection, Hedwig is our tour guide through the history of LGBT culture in Eastern Germany, jungian psychology, the many iterations of “Hedwig” as a production. Plus, Hedwig’s genderqueer legacy, the rich conversation around binary the film creates, and the concept of gender as a performance.
- Gender Bender: An Oral History of ‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch’ by Jennifer Wood
- Why Hedwig and the Angry Inch Still Sings—And Blows Bohemian Rhapsody Away by Chris Azzopardi
- Gay Liberation Behind the Iron Curtain by Samuel Clowes Huneke
- The early 20th-century German trans-rights activist who was decades ahead of his time by Elizabeth Heineman
- Solve et Coagula in a Big, Blonde Wig: An Analysis of Hedwig & the Angry Inch by M. F. Sullivan
- Hedwig & The Angry Inch: She Sings the Body Electric by Stephanie Zacharek